Stop And Smell The Skunk Cabbage Vol. 25

1. A couple of weeks ago I linked an etsy store that made vases out of recycled old books. I also wished I could find a tutorial. Now I have a tutorial!

2. Theobromine. The thing about chocolate you didn't know you loved. Apparently scientists are testing chocolate as an effective cough medicine. The plus side? No known side affects...except well, maybe a few extra lbs on your hips.

3. Use hairpins to pit cherries or olives, and pie birds? I'd never heard of such a thing, but so cool to bake a black bird in a pie.

4. Pretend to be a hobbit for a few minutes. Or at least pretend you're hanging out behind the scenes on the set of The Hobbit. I was was geeking out, and may or may not have watched it twice. Is it bad I wish I could be an employee in the wardrobe dept?

5. Space invader fabric. For all your vintage, computer game, sewing needs.

6. I've often wondered how you draft patterns onto pdf... or draft patterns period. There's an excellent series of blog posts on just that over at sew mama sew.

7. Wonky google satellite images. Something went wrong with these pictures, but they're fun to stare at and pretend they really exist somewhere.

8. I don't have a nursery... or a baby to put in one, so there's no reason I should keep fawning over them. Sometimes I find ones that are too good to pass up. Like this one. Love, love, love the alphabet cards on the wall. Also the color of this nursery looks like it would calm even the most frazzled postpartum hormones.

9. A gothic treehouse? This stairway only looks like a fraction of what I instantly imagined and want to build...if we had trees.

10. I didn't know you could make marshmallows. Marshmallows in general are disgusting, but this recipe looks like a fun science experiment. Also, my kids did not inherit my distaste for the choking, nauseating texture of these little buggers of sugar.

11. Catechism question for the week. How does Christ execute the office of a priest?
2 sprinkles of fairy dust:

Homemade marshmallows don't even compare to store bought ones. You really ought to try them.


I have a pie bird that sits on my windowsill. I love it.