Double Identity

Labels:

I'll admit it; I checked this book out because of the name of the protagonist. Outside of certain circles, Bethany is a fairly uncommon name (inside those certain circles, Bethany is such a common name we have to go by numbers, but that's another story). I've learned to answer to Stephanie, Brittany, and Tiffany. Even occasionally Anthony.

Double Identity confused me. I'm not sure whether it was the writing style or the dust jacket, but I was expecting a very different kind of book. The story follows a girl named... uh... Bethany as she watches her perfect life and her devoted parents emotionally disintegrate. Seemingly abandoned on the doorstep of a relative she didn't even know existed and followed by a creepy stranger, Bethany must find out who she truly is and why she is in danger.

The book is warmer than I expected, and I liked that. Amidst the strangeness that necessarily permeates tales of deep dark secrets, there is a sense of family that I appreciated. Double Identity is in some ways shallower than I anticipated--short and sweet, and in other ways deeper--pondering not just the expected ethical questions. While I do not agree with some of the conclusions, my disagreement is in the finer points of theology rather than the broader issues of morality, which feels a bit of a rarity these days.

I would not offer Double Identity as a fun fluff read. The tension is high and the subject matter sobering enough to limit its appeal somewhat. If you like dark page-turners, though, this one's for you.

0 sprinkles of fairy dust: